Friday, August 22, 2008

RateMyProfessors.com

I have been pwned by many disgruntled students at RateMyProfessors.com
This teacher is the most boring teacher i ever taken he only gives u 5 essays to do. however he grades hard so make sure ur essay is good. i wont ever take him again too too boring all we did was read at home and go to class and talked about the story we read i don't recommend him at all.
Maybe I need to wear more flair. I am sarcastic (see previous sentence), professional, cruel, easy-going, too hard, easy, I return papers slowly, and I return papers quickly. I have a zero rating on my Hotness Total.

My online students are particularly peeved, and have more to complain about. I got into the Distance Ed thing after other profs had established turf rights to the regular semester fiction (2342)sections, so I teach what's called second start. It begins six weeks later than the regular semester, so students don't get their first grades back until close to the "drop" deadine. I teach three of these sections, which means I begin with 96 students in just those three classes. My other three classes (1301 comp/1302 rhetoric) are face-to-face and begin during the regular start date. I usually have about 60-70 students in those at first. I spend about 20-30 minutes grading each essay (which is slow), so I am slow to get essays back. The online students are justified in being frustrated. The only ways I could get them back more quickly would be to pull all-nighters (not going to happen) or to grade each essay more quickly (not going to happen). Online enrollment numbers, for me, drop substantially after a few weeks.

The hand written EOI's (evaluation of instruction) I get routed back to me from my f-t-f students are, oddly, all positive. Every single one of them. I think my department chair must be weeding out the bad ones to boost my self-esteem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat it, bro. My "chili pepper" (hottie mark) disappeared a decade ago. But we're both married to women ten times as hot as any of our students!

How we tricked them into it, I'll never figure out.

Texasyank

James Langston said...

True. Our babes are smokin. But we're hot. Don't our students have eyes? We're standing right in front of them. I even wear tight jeans sometimes.