Saturday, February 2, 2008

Garden Blogging V

Dez lines up rows of kale, lettuce and chard. I still don't have the gravel path between and around the rows. We have had frequent rains ever since I built the beds, and it's too soggy to compact the granite.

Here is the new home for our blackberries. Marc came up with the idea of using a trough. It should keep the blackberries from getting out of control. In the summer, the metal may heat up the soil, so we'll have to keep it moist. I punched a bunch of holes in the bottom, put in a couple of inches of gravel on bottom, and raised the trough up to facilitate drainage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello you have a nice blog.

Anonymous said...

So it looks like I know what I'm doing in the garden...but I have no clue! Actually, I'm reading detailed instructions of how to plant everything appropriately, proper spacing, etc. But when you have seeds that are like a micromilleter in size, it's a little difficult to pick them up individually! Oh, and it's a little backbreaking as well. Poking holes 1 in apart and then filling with the miniscule seeds. Hey, it's fun, though. All part of the grand plan!